It wasn’t too long ago that I found out baking soda had more uses than strictly for baking. As for hydrogen peroxide, I always dismissed it as another chemical that had no place in life beyond the chemistry or research lab.
I was wrong on both counts by a long mile. My baking soda and hydrogen peroxide education kicked off when I discovered I could get whiter teeth using them. That was a eureka moment for me.
Let’s face it. One of the first things we notice while talking with somebody is their teeth. For a man like me, white teeth just makes a girl’s smile a thousand times more attractive. A combination of white teeth and an honest smile wins me over anytime.
I am sure if you ask a beautiful girl to choose between a white teeth and fresh flawless skin, she would spend several agonizing minutes making her choice. Thing is, she would rather have both.
For me, discovering I don’t have to waste money going to a dentist to achieve that confidence-building white dentition was really liberating. It was even awesome when I found out baking soda and hydrogen peroxide are both very cheap. And one could get the peroxide from any chemist or drug store.
Okay, let me get right right down to it. But first, the question is why baking soda? Why hydrogen peroxide?
Not to bore you with long talk just know that baking soda has very strong bleaching properties. Used properly, it can whiten your teeth effectively. The active ingredient, sodium bicarbonate, is an important ingredient in toothpaste and some of the stuff dentists use to clean patients’ teeth.
As for hydrogen peroxide, it is all about using its anti-bacterial properties to kill off germs that produce disgusting bad odour in the mouth. The right mix should be 3-5% hydrogen peroxide. Sometimes you need to add water to dilute it to the required strength.
Baking Soda/Hydrogen Peroxide Toothpaste
- Buy a tin of baking soda and a bottle of 3% hydrogen peroxide if you don’t have them lying in the house somewhere.
- Pour about 2 teaspoon of the baking soda in a container. You could increase the amount if you wish
- Make a paste by slowly adding the hydrogen peroxide to the baking soda and stirring it.
- Use your tooth brush to scoop the paste and brush your teeth the normal way with it.
- For best results, instead of brushing your teeth immediately with the paste, put the paste on your teeth and leave it there for one minute before brushing with toothbrush. If your chose to do it this way, you can use your fore or middle finger to scoop the paste and spread it around your teeth.
- Don’t leave it for more that I minute. Or it might over corrode the enamel of your teeth causing it to become weak and brittle. One minute or less is very safe.
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly with water afterwards.
- If you still desire that minty taste in your moith, you can go ahead and use your regular toothpaste to brush your mouth afterwards.
There, that is all. Do this consistently everyday, and in no time, those brown teeth that made you self-conscious of how you smile would become history.
The cool thing about baking soda and hydrogen peroxide is that you can also use them for many other important things in the home. It is just a matter of discovering your own eureka moments just like I did.
If you’re having tooth ache and you don’t want to visit the dentist maybe because of the pain or financial purposes, you can use this recommended guide by the dentist to deal with your toothache
And if you discover those moments or of you have things to share about dental health using baking soda and hydrogen peroxide combo, let us know about them. We would love to have your thoughts in the comments section.