Often times, we get sun burned scalp but this fact is frequently ignored when wearing sunscreen. If you’ve got a sun burned scalp, we have provided in this article top tips provided by expert dermatologist as the fasted way to treat and revamp your sub burned scalp.
The scalp also needs to be protected from the excessive effects of sun even when your head is fully covered by hair. But this is the truth that is not known by a good number of people.
Any time you find out that you’ve got a reddish and tender scalp caused by excessive damaging effects of the sun, follow the tips provided below to take care of it fast:
1. How to treat sun burned scalp
You need to keep your scalp adequately moisturized. Maintaining adequate moisture on your scalp helps to relieve you of some symptoms of sun damage according to expert dermatologists.
Apply a copious amount of soothing aloe vera gel to the part of your scalp that is affected before you go to bed every night. Before application, spread a towel over your pillow.
When you wake up in the morning, wash with affected part of the scalp with lukewarm water and a shampoo which does not contain alcohol. Example of such shampoo is the Burt’s Bees Super Shiny Mango Shampoo that sells for less than 10 dollars.
2. How to handle and take care of your sun burned scalp
To avoid getting sun burned scalp effect worsened you need to do the following:
- You need to stay away from products with alcohol due to the fact that they can make flaking of the scalp worst.
- You also need to avoid making use of products of petroleum, which can shut in heat and worsen the effect on your sun burned scalp.
- Also avoid lidocaine; it can cause serious irritation to your scalp.
- Try not to use any type of hair spray, gel, dry shampoo, conditioner, and mousse on that part of your scalp that has been irritated by excessive sun effect.
- Sun burned scalp is normally painful when you touch them. Therefore, zilch the blow-dryer whenever you want to dry your hair and endeavor to stay away from anything that would cause more irritation to the scalp during brushing.
- Cautiously brush the hair strands and avoid touching the scalp and the hair roots as much as possible.
3. How to stay away from sun burned scalp in the future
Put on a UPF hat or apply sunscreen to the part of your scalp that is exposed to the sun.
If there is a good reason why you should not wear a hat, it is highly essential that you constantly apply sunscreen to the part of your scalp that is exposed to the sun. Although, you need to wear sunscreen on all parts of your scalp, you need to pay more attention to those areas that are very much exposed.
You need to go for sunscreens that are made up of SPF 30 and above. Your choice of sunscreen must also provide you with broad spectrum protection. These include UVA and UVB.
Apply 1 ounce or adequate amount to fill a shot glass to the parts of your scalp that are exposed to the direct effects of the sun. You need to wear your sunscreen 15 minutes before sun exposure for proper absorption into the skin and for maximum effect to be felt.
In an ideal situation, you need to re-apply the sun screen after every 2 hours under the sun or after going swimming or being in the water or after sweating.
A good sunscreen you may try to prevent your scalp from being sun burned is the Banana Boat Body and Scalp quick Dry Spray.
4. If your sun burned scalp is seriously affected; book appointment to see your doctor
If your sun burned scalp is not getting any better day by day, you need to consult with a dermatologist or a doctor who is specialized in the treatment of skin diseases.
You should normally arrange expert medical care if you experience a serious, blistering and painful scalp.
Also if your sun burned scalp causes you headache or fever or if you have tried to treat it yourself and it doesn’t seem to be going away!