To sponsor your spouse in Canada, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Not be receiving social assistance (other than for a disability) or be in default of a previous sponsorship undertaking or court order for financial support.
- Be able to prove that your relationship with your spouse is genuine and not entered into primarily for immigration purposes. This may involve providing evidence of your marriage, joint financial assets, and other documentation that shows that you share a genuine and committed relationship.
- Be willing to sign a sponsorship undertaking, which is a legal agreement between you and the Canadian government in which you agree to financially support your spouse and any dependent children for a period of three to ten years.
When applying for sponsorship of a spouse, there is a lot to consider. The exact requirements may depend on the particular details of your case, so seeking guidance from a licensed immigration consultant is recommended. This ensures that all aspects are understood and that your application is correctly prepared.
How long does it take to sponsor a spouse in Canada?
When it comes to spousal sponsorship applications for Canada, the applications take about 12 months to process. There are multiple elements that factor into processing time. These include how many applications have been received, whether all paperwork is ready upon submission, and any extra documents or information required.
Should your application be incomplete or require extra information, the process could be delayed. On the contrary, a straightforward case with no complications will likely see its application handled in a much timelier fashion.
When making a submission, the location at which you submit your application can be pivotal in determining how long processing takes. In some cases, the speed at which an application is processed may differ depending on where you lodge the paperwork.
For the most accurate processing times, the best resource is Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). You can visit the IRCC website to find out more.
Is IELTS required for spouse visa in Canada?
For those applying for a Canada spousal visa, IELTS is not mandatory. However, couples may opt to include their spouse under the Canadian PR Application via express entry and gain extra points from the partner’s IELTS score.
What is the age limit for spouse visa in Canada?
From June, 2015, the sponsorship applications for spouses who are younger than the age of 18 are no longer is accepting. All applicants must meet the minimum requirement of being at least eighteen years old when immigration office receives their application. In order for a spouse visa application success, both must be at least eighteen years of age. Moreover, the individual being sponsored must also fulfil the requirements of belonging in the family class.
How much income do you need to sponsor your spouse in Canada?
When seeking to sponsor a spouse, common-law partner to Canada, you generally do not require a certain degree of income. Nonetheless, it is necessary that you sign an agreement indicating your intention of taking care of their fundamental financial necessities for three years. The current minimum income requirement for a single person sponsoring a spouse is $26,620.
How much does spousal sponsorship cost in Canada?
The sponsorship fee is $75 and the principal applicant processing fee is $490. Want to add the right of permanent residence fee? That will be an extra $515. There is an additional biometrics cost at $85.00 each.
Is there interview for spousal sponsorship in Canada?
Yes, there may be an interview for spousal sponsorship in Canada. At an interview, it is essential to evaluate and confirm whether or not there is a genuine relationship between a sponsor and their sponsored person. Additionally, all of this must be done while double-checking information provided in an application. Additionally, documentation with further details may be requested.
How can I check the status of my application?
Do you need an update about your spousal sponsorship application in Canada? The IRCC provides a convenient online tool for you. This tool is called the “application status tracker” and it allows you to see the progress of your application and any updates or messages from IRCC.
What is the benefit of spouse visa in Canada?
There are several benefits to obtaining a spouse visa in Canada:
- Permanent residency: The spouse visa allows your spouse or common-law partner to become a permanent resident of Canada.
- Family reunification: The spouse visa is designed to help reunite families who have been separated by immigration barriers.
- Access to services and benefits: As a permanent resident of Canada, your spouse or common-law partner will have access to a wide range of services and benefits, including healthcare, education, and social services.
- Employment opportunities: With permanent residency in Canada, your spouse or common-law partner will be able to work for any employer in Canada.
- Pathway to citizenship: After several years of living in Canada as a permanent resident, your spouse or common-law partner may be eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship.