The Danger Of Abdominal Fat Depositions
Belly fat has never been considered an attractive feature by society’s beauty standards. However, this is not the only reason why so many people make it their goal to banish those abdominal fat depositions.
Besides aesthetic reasons, there is also a health aspect to that problem. An increased amount of stomach fat may lead to diabetes and cardiovascular diseases. Another chronic disease caused by abdominal fat depositions is obesity.
Types Of Body Fat
As you may already know, there are different types of fat, and not all of them are dangerous to you. To understand which type you should banish, you need to learn the difference between them. Here are the main types of fat and their features:
This type is vital for the proper functioning of your body. It takes part in the regulation of hormones that control vitamin absorption, fertility, and temperature regulation.
This type is located under the skin and makes up the majority of all body fat. Specialists use calipers to measure subcutaneous fat as a way of determining the overall body fat percentage.
This is the most dangerous type of fat. It is found around inner organs and is what people consider to be belly fat. It increases the risk of various health issues and is very difficult to get rid of.
Melt your excess pounds away with the help of the BetterMe app. It can provide you with all you need: a personalized meal plan, numerous recipes, a customized workout plan, hundreds of different exercises, and much more!
What Causes Belly Fat?
Now that you know a bit more about different types of fat, it is time to figure out what causes the most dangerous ones and how to prevent their occurrence. Here are the main reasons for your problem:
- You regularly consume a caloric surplus
Eating more calories than your body manages to burn leads to the deposition of excess energy in the form of fat. According to mayoclinic.org, 1 pound of fat consists of 3,500 calories, so if you consume 500 calories more than you need daily, you will gain 1 pound over a week. And if you continue this pattern, the number will only get bigger.
- Overconsumption of alcohol
Alcohol is a relatively calorie rich drink, which means it can cause various health issues, including inflammation and liver disease. Overconsumption of alcohol may lead to a greater waist circumference – so-called wine and beer bellies.
- Lack of physical activity
Your caloric surplus may be caused not only by poor diet choices but also by the lack of physical activity.
- Increased stress levels
There is probably not one person who has never experienced stress in their life. Especially these days, when it can be triggered by anything from quarrels at home, problems at work, online arguments, noisy neighbors, rude waiters, and so on.
When one’s level of stress goes up, the body produces the hormone cortisol, which tends to affect one’s metabolism. You may have noticed that when you are stressed, you sometimes break the rules and overeat or , leading to an increased belly fat amount. Stress may also cause sugar cravings.
- Sleep deprivation
Lack of sleep has been linked to weight gain and the occurrence of belly fat. Poor quality and a short duration of sleep may lead to unhealthy eating behaviors, resulting in weight gain.
Smoking is an overall harmful activity. This unhealthy habit is also considered a risk factor for belly fat.
Break free from the vicious circle of losing and gaining weight back and instead reach your body goals with the BetterMe app. Follow a nutritional plan created personally for you and based on your goals and preference. The app also provides you with a calorie and water tracker, to make the experience of using the app the most pleasant.
Top 10 Foods To Avoid To Lose Belly Fat
Since poor diet choice is one of the main causes of belly fat, you need to focus on including healthy foods in your menu and at the same time keeping unhealthy products at bay. Here are foods to avoid when trying to lose belly fat:
- Baked goods. Most baked goods are rich in saturated and trans fats which increase the risk of various diseases and add to the problem of belly fat.
- Sugary drinks. According to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans between 2015 and 2020, an average American consumes around 17 teaspoonful of sugar daily, while the recommended amount is not more than 12 teaspoonful per day.
- Deep-fried foods. Stripped of its beneficial qualities, food that went through the process of deep-frying can only offer you plenty of unhealthy fats and, as a rule, extra salt.
- White bread and pasta. Refined carbs, which are present in white bread and pasta, are among the unhealthy foods that should be avoided if your goal is to lose weight and live a healthy life.
- Salty snacks. These are packed with salt and calories and have nothing beneficial to offer you.
- Alcohol. It is rich in empty calories, so it increases your caloric intake without providing you with any essential nutrients. According to the 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommendations, men should drink no more than two cups of alcoholic beverages per day, while for women the recommendation is no more than one cup per day.
- Energy and granola bars. Filled with unnecessary sugars, these foods should better be avoided if you want to banish that protruded belly.
- Sweetened or coated dried fruits. Dried fruits are by themselves quite rich in calories, and if you add even more sugar to them, you turn them into a calorie bomb, which will significantly increase your daily caloric intake.
- Highly processed meats. After going through processing, these meats are more harmful than beneficial for you. According to the International Agency for Research Cancer (IARC), meats that have undergone processing of any kind are carcinogenic, which means that they can result in some types of cancers.
- Ice cream. It is filled to the brim with unhealthy fats and sugars, which combined surely will increase your waist circumference.
A safe method of weight loss is by eating a balanced diet and exercising regularly. To prevent weight gain, eat a balanced diet and avoid foods high in fat and sugar. Stay active and exercise regularly to burn calories. It’s important to avoid fad diets and other unsafe methods of losing weight as warned in Healthcanal.com/life-style-
fitness/coffee-and-lemon- weight-loss, which may cause serious negative effects on your health.
This article is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on to make decisions of any kind. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!